Sunday, August 16, 2009

Barriers to Generational Blessings



Today is the six year wedding anniversary of my daughter, Nina and her husband, Stephen, and so I will dedicate today's study to them.

From a Message by Paster Garrett Booth of Grace Community Church in Houston, Texas on 8/16/09:

Four Barriers to Generational Blessings:
1- Performace/Behavior: we are a performance oriented society and much too often our self-worth is wrapped up in our performance, whether judged by ourselves or others or both. God's acceptance and love of us is not based on our performance or behavior. He loves us regardless and encourages us to do the same. Romans 5:8 says: 8"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
2- Motivation: when guilt, fear and intimidation are used to motivate others, it creates distrust, disillusionment and dissatisfaction. Those who use such motivating techniques are insecure with themselves and have self-serving agendas. 1 Corinthians 10:31 says: 31"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."
3- Playing Favorites: when someone is singled out as a favorite at the expense of others the result is jealousy and envy. Luke 20:21 says: 21"Then they asked Him, saying, “Teacher, we know that You say and teach rightly, and You do not show personal favoritism, but teach the way of God in truth:"
4- Family Melt Down: divorce or disaster can cause family melt downs that affect generations to come. John 16:33 says: 33"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Mike's Action Points:
1- God loves us regardless of whether or not our performance or behavior is pleasing to Him. As a family leader, I need to distinguish between love for the person and dislike for their lack of performance or behavior. I should communicate this when confronting a family member whose performance or behavior is not pleasing to God.
2- As a family leader my personal motivation greatly affects the motivation of family members. If I show a servant attitude with love for the person and for God, then family members should be likewise motivated.
3- I cannot show favoritism towards one family member over another. Does this mean that I cannot draw closer to one family member than
another? Of course not! But it should be clear to all family members that there is love for everyone. Does it mean that every family member is treated exactly the same. No, it does not! Every family member needs to be treated according to their personal needs and personality.
4- The good news is that regardless of where I am or what has happened to me, by trusting in God I can, with His help, break the bonds of family melt down and create an awesome future for myself and future generations.

See my Leadership blog: http://legacycoach.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment