Thursday, August 27, 2009

Shhh ... It's a Secret!

John Maxwell's 25 Ways to Win With People:
11. Share a Secret with Someone - Mary & Elizabeth (Luke 1:39-45)

Mike's Thoughts:
Share a Secret with Someone! Share a Secret with Someone? My first
thoughts were to ask how this helps to "Win With People"? After thinking about it though and reading the scripture referenced, it makes perfect sense as I've often done so myself. There is an important distinction though between sharing a secret and spreading gossip. If I tell someone a secret that I know, it is because I know the facts behind it. Gossip, on the other hand, is just repeating unsubstantiated information that may be damaging to another person. As a leader, I can earn the trust of a family member, a friend or someone I work with by sharing a secret with that person - however, my intentions must be pure and the revelation of the secret must not be damaging to someone else. How the person I share the secret with handles it also will reveal much about that person and their loyalty to me.

Mike's Action Points:
1- I pray for wisdom and discernment concerning secrets and gossip.
2- I pray for pure motives when sharing secrets.
3- I pray for wisdom and discernment in selecting whom I share secrets with.

Please see my leadership blog: http://legacycoach.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment