Monday, June 29, 2009

Can You Deal with Contention?

John Maxwell's Commentary in his Introduction to Jude:
Jude also teaches leaders how to communicate values. Every organization
has values, whether they talk about them or not. Jude urges his readers to
"contend earnestly for the faith" (v.3). He communicates simply and with
great humility, making an example of Michael, the archangel, who
contended with satan, but who spoke only in the authority and power of
Jesus' name.


Mike's Thoughts:
Of course this caught my attention because of my namesake. There are a several leadership lessons in this paragraph for me.
1- As a leader, I need to communicate the values of my organization
and/or family.
2- He speaks of "contending earnestly for the faith." In light of the
current economic, political, social and foreign relations challenges we are experiencing today, I have been calling for
Christians to stand up to the forces of evil and push them back.
Seems that Jude was calling for much the same in his day.
Perhaps it will be the major struggle of man until Jesus returns?
3- When confronted with a contentious situation, I am instructed how to respond .... to communicate simply, with great humility and ONLY with the authority and power of Jesus' name. Obviously,
in the secular work and family environment I usually cannot say out loud "in Jesus name", but I can certainly think and believe it. I
should seek His guidance before responding and then do so
simply, with humility and in Jesus' name, even if it is said so
silently. God will hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment