Thursday, June 25, 2009

Do You Act When You Should?

John Maxwell's Commentary on 3 John 3-12:
Initiative: Leaders Are to Host the People in Their Lives
I his last letter, John uses the picture of a host. Hosts take initiative
with their guests. They do what is right by others, make them feel
comfortable, give direction to conversation, and provide for others.
Leaders, like hosts, don't react; they act. They go first and risk
whether the other person will respond positively. It is part of being a
leader. Consider what this letter teaches us about the leader as
"host." Leaders take initiative ...
* In their lifestyle (vv. 3,4)
* With others, especially strangers (vv. 5,6)
* In owning responsibility (vv. 7,8)
* In doing good, by acting and not reacting (v. 11)
* In modeling for others (v.12)


Mike's Thoughts:
Sometimes I find myself hesitating when I should be "going first" in a
leadership situation. I often justify my non-action as showing respect for
another or other leaders that are present at the time. I pray for wisdom to
know when I should act and for the courage to do so. (fmd)

No comments:

Post a Comment