Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Calling of a Leader

Isaiah 62:10
10 Go through, Go through the gates! Prepare the way for the people; Build up, Build up the highway! Take out the stones, Lift up a banner for the peoples!

Mike’s Thoughts:
What a great calling for me as a leader. I am to be bold and courageous to
go “through the gates”. What are the “gates?” I believe they are the
challenges I face as a leader. What does it say on Star Trek; “To Boldly
Go Where No Man Has Gone Before?” That’s what I think about when I
read this passage. For me, the “gate” may be starting a new Bible study or
starting a new networking group or entering into a new business arrangement. A “gate” may also include changing careers or moving the
family to a new place or coaching kids sports or starting a family Bible study
or starting a health fair or any number of new adventures that require stepping out of my comfort zone to create a new path whether large or small. Once I go through the gate I’m to “prepare the way for the people!”
This is an extraordinary responsibility. As a leader I’m called to prepare the
way for the people so that they can easily transition out of their comfort zone
and follow me through the gate. How well I’ve prepared the way will determine how smoothly the transition is made by those I lead. This is an
easy test of my leadership skills. If the people I lead make a smooth
transition, then I’ve done a good job, if not, then I should’ve done a better
job. A large part of making the transition smooth for the people is how well
I prepare the path by “building up the highway” and “removing the stones”.
To me, this means preparing a clear path of transition with as few obstacles
as possible for the people. Finally, I’m to “Lift up a banner for the peoples!”
Obviously, I’m to be supportive of the people and lift their spirits up through
my actions and my words. (fmd)

No comments:

Post a Comment