Saturday, July 18, 2009

All that You Know May Not be Wise!

Ecclesiastes 1:17-18:
17 And I set my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is grasping for the wind.18 For in much wisdom is much grief, And he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.

Mike's Thoughts:
I get "burned out" sometimes and I'm sure you do, too. It is a natural
human emotion and I believe that Soloman was experiencing such emotions
in the book of Ecclesiastes. Rick Warren teaches that my life is not to be
about me, but it is ALL about God. It is obvious in the verses above that
Soloman has lost the focus on God in his life. God blessed Soloman as
the wisest man to ever live and unfortunately, Soloman in all his wisdom,
lost his focus on God and, in his pursuit for more personal wisdom, found
knowledge that depressed him. Many times in the Bible God talks about
seeking wisdom, NEVER does He ask us to seek "madness and folly".
These are pursuits of the flesh and not Godly pursuits. As a leader I need
to keep my focus on heavenly pursuits that are in line with the vision and
mission of my company, community and family. Of course, I must also
create visions and missions that foster heavenly pursuits. Please note that there is an important distinction between wisdom and knowledge. All wisdom is knowledge, not all knowledge is wisdom, just ask Adam and Eve!
Mike's action points:
* When feeling down or depressed or burned out, I need to ask
myself if my focus is on me or on God?
* Study 2 Corinthians 7:1 and 2 Peter 1:2-11.
* A friend of mine is writing a book to be released late in 2009 and in
this book he makes a profound statement: "Ask him (God) to
show you barriers and then help you remove them." I need to spend quiet time with God asking Him to do just that especially as it relates to maintaining my focus on Him.
* Check the vision/mission(s) I am pursuing to make sure I can
pursue them in a Godly manner. If not, change them.

No comments:

Post a Comment