Thursday, July 23, 2009

Do You Need Others?

John Maxwell's 25 Ways to Win With People:
3. Let People Know You Need Them - Paul (Galations 4:13-15,
2 Timothy 4:11)


Mike's Thoughts:
God made us to need other people in our lives. That is why He made Eve
as a companion for Adam. In fact, isn't that why God made Adam in the
first place? So companionship and the need for others is Biblical and
natural. I believe that a relationship can't be very genuine if it is a one-way
street. Both participants should need the companionship, encouragement,
confidentiality, support, spirituality and help of the other. Often I have seen
and had and been on the receiving side of a one-way relationship where
one of the participants (sometimes myself) is putting on the facade of
not needing the other person. Often it was in defense of not opening up to
being hurt. This is not Biblical! The Bible teaches that I need to be open
to others, even if it means being hurt from time to time, because the only way to have a genuine relationship is thru openness. God demands it of me
and I should expect and give it in my relationships with my friends, my
family, my spouse (if I had one) and my co-workers. As a leader, I need to
be open to my people and expect the same from them. I should let them
know that they are needed and that I cannot be an effective leader without
them. Mike's Action Points:
1- I need to look at my relationships and see if I have closed myself
to someone I shouldn't. If I have, I need to look for ways to
restore that relationship to openness.
2- I need to look at my relationships and see if someone has closed
themselves to me. If they have, I should approach them in a
loving manner and see if the relationship can be more open.
3- I need to pray for help in all my relationships.
4- If someone continues to be closed to me, then I should remain
friendly and open to them, but draw back from the relationship
and allow God to work on it in His time and according to His
will.

No comments:

Post a Comment