Sunday, July 26, 2009

Good People & Intentions = Not Always Good

Ecclesiastes 7:20-21a:
20 For there is not a just man on earth who does good And does not sin. 21 Also do not take to heart everything people say,

Mike's Thoughts:
It is hard to imagine Mother Theresa or Billy Graham as sinners. Yet, most
assuredly they were, as I am. As a Christian leader who strives to commune
with other Christians, I need to be cognizant that, while I'm fellowshipping
with brothers and sisters in Christ, they are all sinners, too. None of them
are better or holier than I am. Yes, some of them may spend two hours a
day in prayer and meditation, and I don't. Some of them may speak in
tongues, and I don't. Some of them may be doing great mission work, and I
don't. But, those are all "works" and don't make them closer to God than me. What makes me close or not close to God is my personal relationship with Him and I am not qualified to judge that in another person, are you?
Whether I am at work, in the home or the community, as a leader, I need to
be aware that while someone is doing great work, they are still a sinner and
I should not take to heart everything they say. Instead, as Joel Osteen
teaches, I need to listen to the "small voice of God inside me" and I need to
test what is being said to me against God's Word and seek God's wisdom,
not theirs or mine, on the subject. Mike's Action Points:
1- I need to take time to pray about the subject or situation.
2- I need to be aware of other's good intentions and seek God's
wisdom on the subject and listen for His small voice inside me.
3- I need to encourage others to share with me, but I still need to
perform steps 1 & 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment