Sunday, July 12, 2009

Information Needs Application

John Maxwell's Commentary on Jude 17-23:
Jude doesn't close his message with mere points of information, but offers
points of application. Effective leaders give both information and application.


Mike's Thoughts:
Jude appears to be a book of "communication". Throughout the book Jude
is encouraging leaders to be effective communicators. I find the above
commentary simple, yet profound. Often I have been in situations
where my leadership gave me information and then dissappeared and I
was left with this half-full feeling of; "Okay, just what do they expect me to
do with this?" The problem is that they gave me the information for a reason
and I felt like they expected me to do something with it, but they didn't give
me the application and I was left to figure it out on my own, which often led
to ineffecient use of my time and a project or task that had to be re-worked
at least once. I have found that sometimes a self-serving leader would do
this purposefully, especially if they felt threatened by me. They obviously did
not understand or embrace the concept of servant/legacy leadership. Other
times they may not have thought the situation through fully and how
dissemination of the information would effect the receivers. Other times they
may have known the information was important but, didn't know how to apply it themselves and were just hoping that I would figure it out for them.
As a leader who wants an effective and efficient team and to set an example of servant/legacy leadership it is to my advantage and is my duty that when I
dissimenate information to also give application for it. I have a few
suggestions on this topic:
1- If I am the recipient of information from leadership without
application and I suspect this is with malicious intent, I need to recognize that this is the evil one doing his deeds in the work place. I need to stay calm, pray about it and then don't act on it until I receive clarification about the application either from God or from my leadership. I should go to my leadership and explain that I am seeking clarification on what they expect me to do with the information and wait for their response. It may not be wise to
offer suggestions until I have heard their response otherwise
they may attempt to use it against me.
2- If I am the recipient of information from leadership without
application and suspect it is because they did not think it
through or did not know how to apply it themselves, I must be careful about my own motives when asking for clarification. Again, I should be calm and pray about it. Then I should look for possible applications without acting on them and then go to my leadership with a servant heart and explain that I am seeking application for the information they shared and ask for their feedback and guidance on the possible applications I came up with.
3- As a leader, I should strive to never disseminate information
without offering application for it. I should always share
information with pure motives and the attitude of a servant/legacy leader. If I feel the need to share information and
I don't have an application for it, then I should ask the recipient
for their prayer and/or thoughts on the information and how we
should apply it.

No comments:

Post a Comment