Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Start With Yourself

John Maxwell's 25 Ways to Win With People:
1. Start with yourself - King Soloman.
1 Kings 3:9-14:
9 Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?” 10 The speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing. 11 Then God said to him: “Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked long life for yourself, nor have asked riches for yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern justice, 12 behold, I have done according to your words; see, I have given you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you. 13 And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and honor, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days. 14 So if you walk in My ways, to keep My statutes and My commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days.”

Mike's Thoughts:
God wants me to ask of Him not out of selfishness, but from a servant
heart, as did Soloman. God rewarded Soloman for his servant heart with
great understanding, riches and a long life. Sounds like a pretty good deal
to me! Mike's Action Points:
* I cannot be self-serving in my prayers. I need to seek His will for me
as Jesus did in the Garden. For example, if I'm suffering
financially, I should go to God in prayer and be thankful for His
blessings in my life and ask that His will be done with my finances and that He guides my actions in this area.
* I need to seek God's will in my life with a servant heart. Again, if I'm
struggling financially, I should go to Him in prayer and ask how
I can learn from this experience and use it to bless others.

No comments:

Post a Comment